- be U.S. citizens and current U.S. high school students
- participate in a high school philosophy class, club, Ethics Bowl Team, or core subject with a philosophical bent or concentration
- be highly proficient in any one of three of the four official languages of the IPO; French, German, or Spanish
APO Topics for 2022
Here are the two topics for APO Stage 1
The writer may choose either one. This is not a research paper, so don't use any sources, only their own thinking.
TOPIC 1 OF 2
What is philosophy and why is it important to study it in high school?
TOPIC 2 0F 2
Many philosophers consider there to be four main theories of moral philosophy: Virtue Ethics, Kantianism, Utilitarianism, and Care Ethics. These theories may be used as conceptual tools to examine ethical dilemmas. Which one or combination of theories do you think most helpful to you in your considerations and why?
Important Submission Information
Please submit your essay in either PDF Format (.pdf) or MS Word Format (.docx) written in Times New Roman, font size 12, double line spacing. Send it as an attachment to an email message. Write the following in the subject line of your email: APO Stage 1 Essay.
Be sure to include the following information on a cover page accompanying the essay. Do not include any of this information on the essay itself except for the topic chosen and the writer's initials.
- the writer's full name
- the school name and full address
- the school principal's full name
- the language (French, German, or Spanish) in which the Stage 2 essay will be written (the target language)
- the estimated target language proficiency of the writer--academic (e.g., Spanish 4 years or AP French) and/or heritage speaker (e.g., Spanish at home) or native speaker
- the topic chosen for this essay (on both the cover page and on the first page of the essay)
- a very brief personal introduction
Submit essays to the APO's official email address: PhilosophyAPO@gmail.com
For additional information about the IPO and to view sample essays, visit the International Philosophy Olympiad at www.philosophy-olympiad.org